Monday, January 4, 2010

2010 Update: Current projects

New year, new projects, new deadlines.

And, if I'm honest, some old deadlines from last year too. Here's a few of the projects that I've got on various burners that will be featured in the coming months:

AER9 Laser Rifle (Fallout 3)


Thats right, I'm doing this again. The last one was a very rushed build and I would have loved to have more time to get the details to my liking. On this project, I can! I learned a lot from the first AER9 and all of that trial-by-fire will be applied to this project. Things are moving fast, so I may have a finished product very soon. Among the improvements are a moving trigger, screenprinted labels, and an illuminated barrel!



Force-a-Nature (Team Fortress 2)


This project is also moving quickly, though I wish I'd taken more pictures of the process. The proportions of this gun are ridiculous - the barrels hold a 4 gauge round and are only 7.25" long! This will be a heavy and robust piece when completed. I have a neat collaboration going on with a fellow who is maching some aluminum parts for it too, can't wait to show those off!



Chell's Heelsprings (Portal)


These poor things have been sitting in 90% limbo for a while now, awaiting a few minor bits to make them perfect. We have a Portal photoshoot coming up in the near future, so hopefully they will be back on the table soon.

Link's Hylian Shield (Zelda: Twilight Princess)


My first shield was also my first real "prop". When I first took a crack at this, the entire shape was eyeballed and I didn't know my materials very well. On top of that, I didn't take any progress photos! This shield will rectify a lot of the issues of the old one, mostly the major inaccuracies and cumbersome weight of my first project.


All this, and more, in 2010. Thanks for reading!

21 comments:

administrator said...

What is the shield made of?

Bert said...

Can't wait for the posts!

BTW - What material are you using for the heelsprings springs legs?

Keep up the great work!

John said...

Sounds like you've got awesome stuff coming up :-) Good luck and have fun!

Sebastian 'ZerFEr' Schmitt said...

have fun in 2010, im looking forward to read blog posts!
awesome work.

Aegis Daesumnor said...

Good stuff. I always love when you post new things. :)

Stinkfist911 said...

Good stuff man, can't wait to check it all out.

Cube fx said...

dear: xrix harrison i have sent you an email to volpinprops@gmail.com with a question i had for you the message subject should read "one quick question for you....thank you"

thank you

Thomas said...

I love you :D
Many of the Tf2 weapons would look awesome:
Blutsauger
Direct Hit
Scottish Resistance

Your work astounds me :D I'm glad I've got this blog RSS'd.

How did you get started in this line of prop work?

sener_mustafa said...

keep up the good work

Sylph said...

Nice, but I just can't wait to see more on your Daft Punk Helmet Replica.

Nice Work!

pascal said...

Really great work and very inspire.
So I build my own Laser-Rifle from Fallout 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSGMWW9Dl1M

Pim said...

Talking about an update! Nice projects you got going on. I am looking forward to all the posts in this new year :D

Zach said...

Great stuff, I look forward to a new project each month. You should make some Splicer Masks from Bioshock. 2K Games has been giving some handmade latex masks out for the Viral Campaign, but I bet you could make some badass ones.

ellyn_mei said...

This stuff is always uber inspiring. Keep it up.
You should post materials lists for your builds though. There are always odd bits where I don't recognise the material. It would be really useful. Cheers x

o-melhor-cosplay-de-bioshock said...

Your work is absolutely amazing!!! =D

I was so impressed I had to feature you on my blog.Posted some of your pics, but everything is properly linked. Hope it is ok with you. =)

Cheers,

Rebeca.

saveme124 said...

More on the Daft Punk Helmets!!!!

Ryan said...

Me and a bunch of friends bought another friend a Rockteer helmet for his birthday. Certainly trumped any other birthday he had and will have. But in being part of that I realized I really didn't have anything that I NEEDED like how my friend needed that helmet. So Ive been looking for that thing so cool and in sink with me that I must have it in my possession.

Your AER9 Laser Rifle is breathtaking, especially the new one. Just out of curiosity, how much would such a commission cost? Or is that a question for behind closed doors?

Hans said...

What happened to the Daft Punk Guy-Manuel helmet?
i thought that was one of your best projects. Hope to see more of it soon ;)

White said...

I was also hoping for Daft Punk helmet, part 3, the electronics.

H_Krix said...

Daft Punk updates are coming, don't worry. I'm taking the time to make that project perfect.

Justin said...

Nice

Post a Comment